10.29.2004

i'm falling asleep at the wheel here.
so sometimes i think i believe in fate. in some higher power. in the great cogs and wheels of history. that maybe there really is some old woman up there playing with gadgets and ensuring everything works out how it should.

it was as if joni mitchell was there for me. not to receive her doctorate. not to talk to music students about music. just for me. to kick me in the ass. to inspire me. to blow smoke in my face. and goddammit, it worked. i think. well, it definitely helped.

ps. joni and i are the same. when she was little, in saskatchewan, she used to ride her bike out into nowhere... looking for special places. she laughed and explained that it was usually a tree or something. i used to drive in my mom's van. drive into nowhere looking for something pretty. something special. i usually found a tree or something.