10.07.2005

success is so pretty, but it makes me think i'm winning.
i didn't even know this could be a reason for hating cell phones... but here goes... they make me feel out of shape. yes. yes they do. because, yesterday as i'm running on the treadmill with buckets of sweat falling off of me and the batteries to my discman just died and therefore i have nothing to motivate me and i have to listen to the depressing sounds of everyone else's machines working working working... a cell phone starts ringing. specifically the cell phone belonging to the guy on the treadmill next to mine. without missing a stride, he casually answers it. and continues to have a 5 minute conversation while running. beside him, if he had looked, he would have seen a red-faced, out of breath, pissed off me. pissed off that he was fit enough to casually talk and run at the same time. pissed off that his conversation was happening right beside me and no matter how fast i was running, i could not run away. pissed off that he felt important enough to have to have his cell phone by his side even while he was running.

this made me think that no one gave a fuck where i was at that moment. no one knew where i was, most likely no one was wondering. and while i guess this made me a little sad at the time... to have someone else's popularity and importance shoved in my face only to have it highlight my own insignificance... it just ended up confirming that my opinion on cell phones has not changed. being alone is nice. i like being unreachable. and i will hold onto that freedom for as long as i can. and fuck the people that have morphed into cell phone talking running machines. fuck evolution. i am staying stuck in the mud.

(besides, that dude with the cell phone didn't get those seconds of joy when he got home... before you find out if you have any voice mail. because sometimes people do actually wonder where i am. sometimes.)