12.31.2005

graceless, we'll lose the battle.
dinner was great. your familiar smell shocked my senses. i was reassured that yes, your face still warms me. your path still amuses me. and for my part, i realized that i still seek to interest you. i still revel in those glances. the ones that calm my insecurities. seeing you again was comforting, as always. but my favourite part, you'd never guess. well, maybe you would.

we rode the subway home. i was buzzed. you wanted me to hear some songs, so you gave me your ipod. i clutched your headphones tight to my ears and we stood across from each other. leaning opposite ways. i saw you sneak that picture, you know. right before you pulled out a crossword puzzle. i listened to your music and watched you scrawl away... filling in the boxes one by one. it was so intimate. each of us in our own worlds.

a girl on the same car kept sneaking glances at us. i caught her eye. and you know what it said? it said what i imagine my own eyes say when i see a couple that makes me want to sneak glances. i recognized her eyes. and i smirked at her. i wanted my smirk to convey it all. to convey our story. to tell her that no... we weren't together. no, we didn't have the love she might have imagined for us.

but that it was ok. that it was better than ok.

we will always be a light
you can see it from the surface, see it.